Karna's Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

like a lizard

I have decided that I am like a lizard, that can adapt to fit into any location...well i guess my skin color doesn't actually change like a lizard's, but it passes for a lot of different things. So far I have been mistaken for being Italian almost every day I have been here, yesterday someone asked me how much Japanese or other Asian thing I had in me (although i think that is more of a stretch), I am obviously Native so i can pass for almost any American Indian, and the Mexicans who come to the pizza place in the summer always try to order from me in rapid Spanish and then tell me I am a bad Mexican for not being able to understand my native language. I'm not Mexican! You have to speak slowly for me to understand Spanish! But, I fit in in all sorts of countries. Can't pass for white, but oh well.
Today we went to the market for my culture class. It is absolutely freezing here, I am just regaining feeling in my toes.
We got tickets to Venice yesterday, and we have hotel reservations, so it is for real! We really are going! I am hoping to see many crazy males dressed in drag. Did you know Venice is sinking? Somehow I had missed that. Something crazy like a few inches a year. Good thing I am going now!