Karna's Blog

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Venice

Tomorrow i am going to post pictures from Venice. Carnivale was awesome, the costumes were just like I always saw on TV...huge and elaborate and beautiful! I will show you all tomorrow. I also got a cool mask and my face painted. We went to the Academia one day, and also to Murano, the glass island, home of Venetian blown glass. All very cool and beautiful. Our hotel was pretty far away but we snuck 7 people into a 4 person room so it was also cheap. Those are some crowded sleeping quarters though, let me tell you. There were four dorm-size beds, but one went to our one guy Colin, and we pushed the other three together for six girls. We survived, though. OH funny story to hold you over til my pictures...at the bus stop in Venice this Native guy asked us where we were from and said he was from Anchorage, and when I said Petersburg, he asked if I was Tlinget or Haida...ok that doesn't have anything to do with this story. ANYways, he asked if I knew Dr. Beardslee, because Dr. Beardslee's first wife is this guy's cousin, and then I asked if they knew anyone else from Petersburg, and his wife said "oh just this one lady" in a tone like I would never know her too, and it turns out it is my aunt Terri, my dad's sister, and this lady had lunch with her last week! Crazy! Small world! Well, I will download Carnival pictures tomorrow. Tonight is the last day of Carnivale, aka Mardi Gras, but actually in Italy it is "Martedi Grasso" (Fat Tuesday), so maybe more fun pictures will be born tonight!