Karna's Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The many faces....

I've decided "teacher" is just too simple of a title for my job. Teacher/policewoman/psychologist/counselor/preschool teacher/semi-friend is a better title. I say semi-friend because I am not allowed to "befriend" my inmates, but a certain amount of something resembling friendship has to be present for them to do what I ask. I guess it's more trust, since there exists a general rule of "don't trust anyone with a badge" be it an officer badge, a teacher badge, or a volunteer badge. A badge in general indicates we are in a position of power over them. Which is true, but some abuse it, some don't. It's true that I have the authority to tell them what to do, and they have to listen. I try to be fair, though, and listen to what they have to say to me. Yes, if someone is being an asshole and wants to leave early, I am generally an asshole back and make them stay just to be vindictive. That sounds evil. But like any school, like with my 8th graders last year, it's a "give respect get respect" expectation around here. I do find myself in the position of counselor as well, more and more now that they know me. Not that I can do anything to help their situation, but just like the "friend" thing, although I am not supposed to be listening to their life story, they have to trust me for me to be able to teach them, therefore I must become temporary shrink once in a while. I am rambling, but these were my random thoughts for the day.